20 Minute Online Professional Development: How Can I Communicate to Engage Students and Encourage Learning? The Monday Morning Mentor series will be available over the fall semester to bring you professional development in twenty minute snippets. The topic for the week of August 22nd is How Can I Communicate to Engage Students and Encourage Learning? The presentation is available Monday at 10:00am and is accessible through Sunday of that week. For information on accessing the presentation and supplemental materials, please view the Bulletin or the email version of iDevelop.
More information about this session (including description, topics, and learning goals) is available at http://www.magnapubs.com/online/mentor/How-can-i-communicate-to-engage-students-and-encourage-learning-13769-1.html. The complete fall schedule of Monday Morning Mentor sessions is available at http://nscclets.blogspot.com/2016/08/20-minute-mentor-online-faculty.html.
Other Professional Development Opportunities
- Blackboard Learn and Smart Classroom Workshops. ITD is offering a series of Blackboard Learn workshops this week on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday as well as Smart Classroom workshops in September. To view the complete schedule of workshop sessions (with descriptions) and to RSVP, please visit this web site: http://goo.gl/forms/rvefjBn85rmw1vyn1.
- Read the Learning, Education, Technology and Support (LETS) Blog at http://nscclets.blogspot.com/. ITD’s goal with this blog is to provide an informative and useful resource for faculty and staff by highlighting events, spotlighting projects, and presenting current information around instructional technology while also providing a growing pool of resources, recommendations, tools, and materials for teaching and learning purposes.
- "Like" the North Shore Community College Instructional Technology and Design Page on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/myNSCC.acadtech. On the Instructional Technology and Design Facebook page, ITD provides information about upcoming professional development opportunities, links to interesting articles on integrating technology into the teaching and learning environment, and presents tips on using the various instructional technology resources.
- 10 Ways to Promote Student Engagement http://www.facultyfocus.com/articles/effective-teaching-strategies/10-ways-to-promote-student-engagement/
- Promoting Active Learning
- Engaging Students in Learning
With classes starting next week, we wanted to invite you to share your teaching strategies with each other, especially new faculty who are preparing for their first classes here at NSCC. If you could provide any advice, tips, best practices, or teaching strategies to new faculty to help them get started in their classes successfully what would it be? What do you wish someone told you during those first classes? Send an email with your teaching strategies to firstname.lastname@example.org and we will share them in the next few issues of iDevelop.
We hope you enjoy this weekly eNewsletter and would love your input. Please let us know if you have any feedback on the format, content, and resources or if there is anything else you would like to see in the eNewsletter.
Instructional Technology and Design and the Center for Teaching, Learning, and Assessment