20 Minute Online Professional Development: How Can I Develop Online Instructor Presence?
The Monday Morning Mentor series will be available over the fall semester to bring you professional development in twenty minute snippets. The topic for the week of August 29th is How Can I Develop Online Instructor Presence? The presentation is available Monday at 10:00am and is accessible through Sunday of that week. For information on accessing the presentation and supplemental materials, please view the Bulletin or the email version of iDevelop.
More information about this session (including description, topics, and learning goals) is available at http://www.magnapubs.com/online/mentor/how-can-i-develop-online-instructor-presence-13718-1.html. The complete fall schedule of Monday Morning Mentor sessions is available at http://nscclets.blogspot.com/2016/08/20-minute-mentor-online-faculty.html.
Other Professional Development Opportunities
Blackboard Learn and Smart Classroom Workshops. On Thursday, September 1st, ITD will be offering an Introduction to Blackboard Learn workshop from 4:00pm to 5:30pm in Danvers Berry, DB201, and a Smart Classroom workshop from 4:00pm to 5:00pm in Danvers Berry, DB205. If you are interested in attending, please RSVP to email@example.com.
To stay current on professional development opportunities offered by Instructional Technology and Design over the academic year, be sure to:
- Read the Learning, Education, Technology and Support (LETS) Blog at http://nscclets.blogspot.com/. ITD’s goal with this blog is to provide an informative and useful resource for faculty and staff by highlighting events, spotlighting projects, and presenting current information around instructional technology while also providing a growing pool of resources, recommendations, tools, and materials for teaching and learning purposes.
- "Like" the North Shore Community College Instructional Technology and Design Page on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/myNSCC.acadtech. On the Instructional Technology and Design Facebook page, ITD provides information about upcoming professional development opportunities, links to interesting articles on integrating technology into the teaching and learning environment, and presents tips on using the various instructional technology resources.
- Creating a Sense of Instructor Presence in the Online Classroomhttp://www.facultyfocus.com/articles/online-education/creating-a-sense-of-instructor-presence-in-the-online-classroom/
- Creating an Effective Online Instructor Presencehttp://ccrc.tc.columbia.edu/media/k2/attachments/effective-online-instructor-presence.pdf
- Course Design as Teaching Presence in Online Courseshttps://www.rit.edu/academicaffairs/tls/course-design-teaching-presence-online-courses
- Being There: Instructor Presence in Online Courseshttp://citt.ufl.edu/2015/12/being-there-instructor-presence-in-online-courses/
Share your Teaching Strategies – We Want your Ideas
With classes starting next week, we wanted to invite you to share your teaching strategies with each other, especially new faculty who are preparing for their first classes here at NSCC. If you could provide any advice, tips, best practices, or teaching strategies to new faculty to help them get started in their classes successfully what would it be? What do you wish someone told you during those first classes? Send an email with your teaching strategies to firstname.lastname@example.org and we will share them in the next few issues of iDevelop.
We hope you enjoy this weekly eNewsletter and would love your input. Please let us know if you have any feedback on the format, content, and resources or if there is anything else you would like to see in the eNewsletter.
Instructional Technology and Design and the Center for Teaching, Learning, and Assessment